Sunday, January 18, 2009

Working Title

They say when it rains it pours
And that the warmth is boring
But fuck a cliché
And a tall-tale story
I am the embodiment
Of a West Side story
Grew up in Venice Beach
First generation of a West Coast family
Yes, my family hails from the East
and I'm the inaugural class
My friends are first-generation American
and I'm half-WASP

I was never equipped for winter weather
Nor the tall-tale boasting
The young men with Mediterranean skin
And an interest in clothing
Sure, I'll take a guy who knows his shit
Who can really teach me something
But if his tactics are corny
Then you can count on me ignoring

I've got no tolerance for bullshit
No will to be duped
I'd rather porch-sit even
Than be taken by cab to my stoop

Fuck a tall-tale teller
And a short story seller
I've got better things to do
Than fabricate lies to the fellas
I'll take it or leave it
I make my own decisions
I act with precision when I take into account
The type of men who approach me in this city

They say when it rains it pours
And he said I meet a lot of guys
But I can't imagine taking my clothes off
For a wink, a smile, a hello or a hi

Yeah, so shit hits the fan sometimes
And sometimes I consent to take it
But even with the recent volume of guys in my life
I could never really fake it
Take it or leave it
Sure, I'll have a conversation with you in the club
But I'm not looking for play
I am hoping for love

I felt it yesterday
in a moment of passion
And only when I released
did I realize this moment was drastic

Stop me if I say too much
or if you think I'm taking love for granted
But I can't help feeling as if
my feelings have been surplanted
...All of a sudden in love again
And now I'm getting guys attention?
Forgive me if I dare to think
the two are connected
Maybe they can read it on my face
Or else the story's in my eyes
I would have surmised that things would be different
if I had anticipated falling in love with two different guys

Like rapid fire succession
And a total recall of the heart
I transferred over feelings
before I ever felt the dearth
I never knew the loss of the first
Only the joy of moving on
The ease of transition
Like turning the dial to another song

Radio radio
I never lost transmission

No, I just glided along a two-step to a smooth transition

So no wonder now they come
After the void that filled my life before
Knowing they recognize the fullness now
I am an attention whore

Where once I gave up on affection
Now I'm a hot commodity
with the possibility of being loved
The kind of woman that I'd be jealous of if I were all my former me's

No, I don't want for love
And I don't pine in vain
I'm never desperate anymore and
I've got no complaints

Easy come, easy go,
Like rainfall on the West Coast
And now I'm relishing the downpour
'cause I'm a tall-tale teller
And a veritable attention whore

1-17-09
finished
early
a.m.

No comments: