Monday, October 19, 2009

A Fable Is A Lie

Tell me something truthful
Something that will really make me smile
Teach me some Italian
So I can say, Reconta mi
una storia a cena
I don't mind a fable with a moral,
or an emotion
that presides in context
I just can't take another
conversation
with so much unsaid subtext
The conversation we never had
is even plaguing me today
I am wondering whether it was
worth it to have my friend say
"You know,
He didn't put it that way
In fact, he said something very different,"
which makes me think
that you're weak
or maybe just oblivious
Is this the one card that you hold
to pull out of your back pocket
To say, here, look at this one,
ain't she a beauty to break up
with?
Were your lies pure boasting?
Immature fodder?
Something to hold on to?
To cross your t's and dot your i's
with?
Yes, our relationship changed
And in a matter of days
We went from a swing set
to a dance floor
to a South African trumpeter
I found you dependable then, and
even more, exciting.
Yet, even then, I never once let go
of the ways we were divided
But we had potential
And that's what matters
No wringing hands or nervous glances
Your job, your family, music, was
enough to keep you steady
And me, too, I decided.
I had my own priorities.
And still, I relished finally having someone
to lavish with my romances
You were a worthy one, and a good fit.
Bright, delivering quips.
Corny, but not enough so
that I couldn't appreciate your shtick.
So why did you have to lie
in light of everything that's good?
You know and I know what we had
and what we could...
We grew close, I left for school,
we tried our best,
but grew apart.
You visited me, and I came home,
but by the time I returned,
we were set adrift.
Recreating magic in the company
of your kin, I grew to love them more
because of the mood they put
me in.
We were good, great even, but our sex
was off...
and you knew it.
So I abstained one night
and that's when you lost it.
Do you remember this?
And do you remember what happened
after?
We parted amicably after 2 days
of each other's absence.
I was sad, and so were you, but
in no great deal of pain.
You were always sweet with me,
and we parted without blame.
So why must you breathe life
into a stale story that never was?
Was it my devotion in the beginning
that I chose to call love?
I didn't plague you with this admission
I offered it up as a gift
My heart, a piece of it, take it if
you wish
Take it or leave it
is my motto for the soul
To protect me from those
who might misread
what I consider bold.
I'm yours for the taking,
if I offer and you accept.
But I am not here
to be called
a desperate puppy
out of fear and neglect.
I loved you, for what it's worth,
for that moment in time.
All I ask is that you relish it.
Instead of making up
our story, why not just try
telling it in rhyme?

No comments: