Thursday, November 13, 2008

Outro

There is a certain air about intelligent young men. It is their confidence and their poise that arouses me. I don't mean to say that I am physically aroused by them. I do mean to say that I relish their youth. The lack of weight in their lives lends them a certain arrogance, or a determined way of being. I like to watch them float ideas like sock-clad feet sliding across wooden floors, smooth and steep. What I take from my conversations with people of this sort is completely personal. I am normally an observer, taking in all I can about the human being, while I attempt to stay afloat in the conversation. Tonight was no different. As the conversation dipped around civilizations and debates about the creation and maintenance of culture, I remained on the sidelines. I truly enjoy the unadultered listening experience. I like to watch the words flow and use them to paint pictures in my mind. My interest in education has never been so much the knowledge itself as the people who seek to acquire it. I prefer academicians to the academy. In this way, I have always considered myself an amateur anthropologist, one who seeks to understand the mechanism of the social human being. I like the study of the mind and the mannerisms that lend to a person's depth. It makes me think... about thinking... about people... and reinforces the reason why I love being human. Here's to a good night

No comments: